Editing and Production Support
The PAI team has extensive experience with the publications process, from writing to editing and from layout and design to printing and distribution. PAI team members routinely use the U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual; Federal Register Document Drafting Handbook; FAA Plain Language Guide; FAA Performance-Based Regulations Guide; FAA Order 1320.1, FAA Directives Management; and FAA Order 1320.46, Advisory Circular System. In addition, PAI is prepared to respond to the requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
The PAI editing process includes the following steps:
- Proofreading documents to ensure the accuracy of formats, proper semantic usage, spelling, and punctuation.
- Copy editing and substantive editing documents, including checking and correcting the content to ensure consistency, accuracy, and coherency; style; grammar; parallel structure; and cross-referencing.
- Ensuring documents are written in plain language or revising documents to conform to plain language, including the use of question-and-answer format, active voice, short sentences, lists and tables when possible, and descriptive topic headings.
- Designing, producing, and reproducing forms, charts, tables, and other graphic presentations required for clarification or explanation within documents.
- Formatting documents according to the appropriate and requested style guides.
PAI’s team is proficient in several word-processing, graphics, and presentation applications on both PC and Macintosh platforms. These include Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Visio, and Project), Mindjet MindManager, and Adobe (Acrobat, PageMaker, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop).
PAI has extensive experience creating delivery-quality electronic files in Adobe PDF format. We ensure compliance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 by running accessibility tests, changing document coding and markup, and applying tags and metadata. This also includes creating fillable form fields, adding password protection, and using links for internal cross-references and external links to other documents on your device or server.
Not every report, manual, or study needs to be printed. But when it does, PAI has the contacts and experience to ensure the end result is a high-quality product. PAI has experience optimizing layout for double-sided printing, including inserting page breaks and adjusting headers, footers, and margins. PAI's expert staff knows how to choose the right binding, paper stock, and cover for the size and purposes of a project.
PAI also has experience producing other material for conferences, meetings, and hearings. This includes oversized signs and banners; lanyards, tent cards, and name badges; brochures, flyers, and one-page information sheets; and branded material, including USB thumb drives loaded with meeting material.